Known issues with nForce4-4x chipset and recent kernels?

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Sat Mar 25 16:10:17 UTC 2006

ARGH!!!!

I can't believe I've waisted two days on this one... I think I tried
"noacpi", but maybe it doesn't work and "acpi=off" does?

Anyway, that was it. I suppose the FC3 kernels don't have ACPI enabled by
default, which would then explain.

Don't you just hate it when these kind of things happen... and I thought
only laptops had broken ACPI implementations :-(

Matthias

Sadda Teh wrote :

> Try booting with acpi=off
>
> The Asus nforce 4 boards (at least the one I have, A8N-VM) have a broken
> ACPI implementation, and when booted with acpi enabled (the default), causes
> problems with other hardware in the system. Though I'm not sure it would
> affect the problem you're having with sata. Worth a try though I guess...
>
> On 3/25/06, Nicolas Mailhot <nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net> wrote:
> >
> > Le samedi 25 mars 2006 à 15:39 +0100, Matthias Saou a écrit :
> >
> > > I can boot from the sata drive on that controller too, but again, even
> > > after loading sata_sil from the initrd, it doesn't find the drive,
> > > complains about /dev/root not found etc. and panics.
> >
> > Another boog I hit was FUA doing crazy things with my disks, but I think
> > the sata people wanted to disable it in 2.6.16 final
> >
> > Apart from this I don't remember any particular problem. Sorry
> >
> > --
> > Nicolas Mailhot

> > --

Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux) - Linux kernel 2.6.16-1.2069_FC5
Load : 0.00 0.01 0.02