Hardware detection problems on laptops -- how to file a report?

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Sun Mar 26 18:29:42 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-03-26 at 18:19 +0100, Joe Desbonnet wrote:
> Am I right in saying there has been substantial changes to the way in
> which hardware  detected works in FC5? (I see from the release notes
> PCMCIA handling has changed and kudzu has been deprecated).  I have
> prepared a report of my (not good) experience with a Thinkpad T41p,
> but right now there is very little hard data in there which can be
> used for debugging.
>
> Any advice how to file a useful report about hardware that did work
> with FC4 and does not work with FC5?

For PCMCIA cards that don't appear to work, be _sure_ to include the
output of 'pccardctl info' and 'pccardctl ident'.  2.6.15 and 2.6.16
changed the way that PCMCIA drivers get bound to particular hardware
instances, which may be what you're running into.  The output of those
commands can help determine what driver should be binding to your cards.

Also, if you happen to remember the driver that got bound to the card in
previous FC versions, that's helpful as well.  Stick all this into the
bug report.

Dan