Open-link misbehavior

Dimi Paun dimi at lattica.com
Mon Mar 27 01:53:23 UTC 2006

Hi folks,

One more note in the focus handling saga. Right now, if one clicks
on a link in Evolution, it is opened in the most recent Firefox
window, as a new tab.

This is fine, except when you have Firefox windows on different
desktops. You click on a link in Evo, and then you start hunting
on the various desktops completely blind trying to find it!
(Unless you were lucky and the last used Firefox window was on
the same desktop as your Evolution).

Now, I can see why this behavior would be advantageous, as long
as a _new_ window was opened in cases where the link would open
on a tab on a different desktop. But as it stands, it is very
confusing. I can see that technically the "right thing" would be
hard to implement (it probably requires interaction between
Firefox and the WM).

So until we get this right, the default behavior should be to
open a new Firefox window. Advanced user can select this other
behavior knowing full well what they are getting into.

--
Dimi Paun <dimi at lattica.com>
Lattica, Inc.