Open-link misbehavior

Ian Burrell ianburrell at gmail.com
Mon Mar 27 04:46:44 UTC 2006

On 3/26/06, Dimi Paun <dimi at lattica.com> wrote:

> I know this, however this does not work correctly in a multi-desktop
> setup without some cooperation between Firefox and Metacity. This
> is clearly (at least at this point) a distro issue, simply because
> the Mozilla people can't do anything about it given the large variation
> out there in the field (tens of WMs, etc).
>
> In fact, when a link is opened in a new tab on same desktop, the app
> button in the taskbar flashes. This is not a Firefox behavior, it is
> the desktop. There's nothing Firefox-ish about it. When it opens in a
> _different_ desktop however, you get nothing! No indication, sign, etc.
> You are left to hunt through the various desktops like an idiot.

The window manager and window list applet definitely have the ability
to flash the icons when the app tells them to (gaim does this).  The
other day, I saw an icon in the taskbar show up for an app on another
desktop. When I clicked on the taskbar, it switched to the other
desktop and selected the window asking for attention. I think this is
new behavior since I hadn't noticed the cross-desktop behavior before.

Since the desktop support the behavior, then the place this needs to
be changed is in Firefox.  Firefox would need to demand attention
(flash the taskbar) when a new tab is opened from an external link.  I
did a quick search of bugzilla.mozilla.org and didn't find anything.

 - Ian