Kernel for SMP VIA C3 machines

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Mon Mar 27 18:23:23 UTC 2006

On Sun, Mar 26, 2006 at 11:04:05PM -0600, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

 > DJ> really ? I was under the impression that all the SMP capable C3's
 > DJ> were Nehemiah cores, which are 686 capable.
 >
 > Well:
 >
 > > cat /proc/cpuinfo
 > processor       : 0
 > vendor_id       : CentaurHauls
 > cpu family      : 6
 > model           : 9
 > model name      : VIA Nehemiah
 > stepping        : 10
 > cpu MHz         : 997.370
 > cache size      : 64 KB
 > fdiv_bug        : no
 > hlt_bug         : no
 > f00f_bug        : no
 > coma_bug        : no
 > fpu             : yes
 > fpu_exception   : yes
 > cpuid level     : 1
 > wp              : yes
 > flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr cx8 apic mtrr pge cmov pat
 > mmx fxsr sse rng rng_en ace ace_en
 > bogomips        : 1998.41
 >
 > (plus another identical CPU)

ok, that's definitly 686 class (complete with the optional cmov extension).

 > FC5 doesn't install a SMP kernel on this machine

sounds like an installer bug.

 > , and installing the
 > shipped SMP kernel results in something that spews a few thousand
 > identical messages about unhandled interrupts and then reboots.

that'll be a kernel bug ;)

 > I'll be happy to provide more info if there's any data you'd like for me to
 > collect.
 >
 > I built 2.6.16-1.2070_FC5 with a custom i586-smp kernel that sets
 > CONFIG_MVIAC3_2 and it runs fine.

I'll see if I can figure out what could be causing the difference
(and try and get hold of a similar system to reproduce on)

 > DJ> that should be it, unless I've forgotten something.
 > Yep, that worked.  (I eventually figured it out during the mailing
 > list delay.)  Is there any possibility of getting some of these
 > alternate kernels into the base SRPM?  It might be useful to have them
 > built for extras.

I'd rather the 686-smp kernel 'just worked'.

		Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk