The Strengths and Weakness of Fedora/RHEL OS management

Shane Stixrud shane at geeklords.org
Mon Mar 27 21:50:17 UTC 2006

On Mon, 27 Mar 2006, Bill Nottingham wrote:

> Basically, the problem arises in trying to move the inertia of 50 upstream
> applications to move to a "new, better" format versus the pain of
> trying to consistently maintain such patches for 50 applications outside
> of upstream.

I understand that.  So the equation seems to be is the effort worth the
long term benefits?  I can tell you from the meetings and hall way
conversations I have been involved in, this issue is a large part of
the equation when an enterprise is comparing Windows vs Linux for x86
desktop and server deployments.  It is not the command line that turns
Netware / Windows administrators off (even if they think it is) it is the
lack of consistency and thus the increased complexity involved in
configuration the system.

Shane