suspend/hibernate in the command line

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Tue Mar 28 00:36:23 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-03-28 at 00:44 +0100, Leon wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I can't find a simple command to suspend/hibernate the
> computer. Sometimes I leave the computer on with music and want it to
> go to suspenstion after a certain time. It would be even better if the
> command doesn't need root privilege. Many thanks.

If you run gnome-power-manager just pressing the "sleep" button on your
computer or your keyboard should suffice. Otherwise use the
System->Suspend menu option in GNOME. See

 http://www.gnome.org/projects/gnome-power-manager/

for details. I believe you can even run this from KDE or other desktops
that support the freedesktop.org notification area spec.

For command line use 'pm-suspend'; it doesn't require root if (and only
if) you are logged in at the console.

    David