Fedora's way forward

Cam camilo at mesias.co.uk
Tue Mar 28 11:30:12 UTC 2006

Eric

If art is all you have to complain about then that shows just how far we
have come. I'd rather see art relegated to the sidelines so people can
choose a distro on real tangible features. Or would you rather people
chose Ubuntu for it's brownness, Fedora for it's blueness or Suse/Novell
for it's greenness?

The point about handling modern media is more interesting for me. As a
geek user I'm *this* close to re-ripping my entire collection as ogg.
The main motivator is because it's more open than mp3. Fedora has been a
strong influence in this. At work I can imagine Fedora being used on the
desktop and the lack of multimedia support would not be a big issue.

I think it's clear that there are distros with more seamless support for
media out there, and it's never been that much of an impediment for
Fedora. Notwithstanding that, a separate commercial addons disk might
help bring more users to Fedora. I don't think anyone would stand in the
way of a third party doing this - so if you really believe it, put your
money where your mouth is... I can't speak for RH but I imagine they are
more focused on keeping the developers happy than users, and developers
get by with livna et al.

-Cam

--
camilo at mesias.co.uk                                                 <--