Double dare ya, Fedora! And your art sucks!

Casimiro de Almeida Barreto casimiro.barreto at gmail.com
Tue Mar 28 13:06:00 UTC 2006

Rudolf Kastl escreveu:
> (...)
>> Supporting Flash seems to soak up most of the problem that can be
>> solved, eg, youtube, Google Video, and if you have 32-bit firefox you
>> can have it.  Seems the only answer for Quicktime and such is the
>> corporate mantrap that is Mplayer, it makes no sense for Redhat to
>> invite attack on their cash by playing that game.  There is no limit to
>> the number of dangerous proprietary formats that one could address by
>> that logic.
>>

> flash isnt a standard... how about creating a new better technology
> and obsolete it? flash requires mp3 for sound playback... so even if a
> gpl implementation exists it wont be going into extras... id just
> forget about flash and look "forward". personally i wont run a 32 bit
> browser on my 64 bit system just to get the closed source garbage
> working. only real use case for flash would be watching some funny
> movies... as far as regular webpages go... i am not a flash fan at
> all, but thats just me...

Yeah... but the thousand flies that like SoundClick, PureVolume,
15megsoffame, etc... etc... etc... not to mention the Internet radios
and other multimedia sites fell like compelled to use M$ or Apple OS X ???

>>> *not optional* in 2006, any more than the ability to read Microsoft
>>> Word files in a word processor is optional; if we try to treat them
>>> that way, consumers will blow Linux off.  Evangelizing for SVG and O
>>>
> gg
>

> Consumers mostly just dont know that they are using worse legacy
> formats like mp3 when they have superior formats such as ogg
> available... i think thats a plain educational problem.

Just as OS2 was superior of NT4.0... Hey... that's nonsense... most
portable players just play MP3, WMA, WMV, MPG and AVI. The others are
rare, expensive and have exotic interfaces... Not to talk about the
digital sound systems that we have at home, at our cars, etc... Try to
play OGG/Theora in your DVD player at home... Try to play OGG/Theora on
your PS2... That's not educational problem that's practical problem...