GUI controls for instrumentation

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Tue Mar 28 17:10:01 UTC 2006

--On Tuesday, March 28, 2006 9:06 AM -0700 "Lamont R. Peterson"
<lamont at gurulabs.com> wrote:

> No, I don't make that assumption, though I see why it would appear that
> way.   Thanks for catching it.

Sorry for misreading you.

> However, most times I have seen Instrumentation apps, they are coded in
> one  language plus an embedded scripting language is included for
> automating or  "linking" of controls, inputs & outputs.  At least, that's
> the way the  commercial toolkits usually did things.

I've been thinking about incorporating either Perl or Tcl as my scripting
language. Any other choices I should consider?

> Yes.  That was part of what I was thinking/trying to say.  Most such
> libraries  are C++ or (less commonly over time) C.  That's another one of
> the reasons I  recommended Qt.  The main reason being that the OP asked
> about portability.

That was me. ;)

> Ah.  Well, there are plenty of libraries out there.  I haven't looked,
> lately  (like I said) at such widget sets, but I have seen (at least some
> of) them  for Qt, too.

Yep, that's what I'm really looking for, what goes on top of the more
generic stuff. I know of NI's Measurement Studio but want to explore
alternatives. Source access is very important to me. With commercial stuff,
that means I can continue to maintain it if the vendor goes belly-up or
discontinues the product.

Qt does look like a good foundation. Has anyone here experience with
wxWidgets? I looked into it a few years ago and it used the "sizer" meme
for window control placement, which I prefer to the fixed placement of the
Windows-based tools I've seen. At the time I looked at it, it had a basic
dialog editor that understood sizers, and a commercial dialog editor was
available.