Fedora's way forward

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Tue Mar 28 17:48:22 UTC 2006

Le mardi 28 mars 2006 à 11:34 +0100, Paul F. Johnson a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> > Let me start with some good things.  I thought Fedora was in
> > desperately bad shape in the FC3/FC4 period,
>
> FC3 wasn't *that* bad IMHO. FC4 was a bit on the disappointing side.
>
> > First, a relatively minor issue that is nevertheless quite annoying.
> > It's the Fedora distribution art
>
> This, and fonts, are the two areas where just about every Linux distro
> falls behind Mac and Windows boxes as both companies invested a massive
> amount to get professional font and graphics people to generate the
> graphics for them and unfortunately, it seems eye candy is everything.

Amazingly the font situation got much better in the last year thanks to
all the Vera forks and in particular dejavu.

To the point the pango people have complained recently the dejavu team
draws too many glyphs, and the infrastructure is not able to display
them sanely (hint add BASE OpenType support to fontforge and
freetype/fontconfig/pango/whatever)

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot