Fedora's way forward

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Tue Mar 28 18:00:10 UTC 2006

On Tue, Mar 28, 2006 at 11:50:05AM -0500, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> all legal and proper.  Fedora carries it in the stock yum.repos.d files.
> Post-installation instructions say "push this button to collect MP3
> support".

So if we carry one vendor how do we decide which of a thousand rival vendors
get into the default yum.conf.d and how do we then audit them. Shall we
sell icons on the desktop like a certain other vendor did ?

What will you pay to have the fetchmail yum repository in by default..?

See thats not the way to go for Fedora. It might be a brief, interesting, and
maybe profitable racket. With no non-free vendor in the default yum.conf
the problem doesn't occur. They can all compete freely using market forces
for your clicks and your money.

What would be useful (free or nonfree) is an xml/yum-repository type format
that could be hooked into firefox and friends so you can

	"Click here to subscribe to fetchmail-pro"

etc