The Strengths and Weakness of Fedora/RHEL OS management

Shane Stixrud shane at geeklords.org
Wed Mar 29 03:58:28 UTC 2006

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006, Bill Crawford wrote:

> There are plenty of reasons why it hasn't happened, among which are a number
> of experiments with various forms of "registry" ...

Please let's avoid biases centered around an unnamed company implementation.
To be simple I am an advocate of ANY on disk, plain text enabled,
configuration standard that is designed and modeled after a traditional
unix file system.

> The reason most applications use individual config files instead of a central
> repository is because that makes it much, *much* easier to:
>
> 1. Design a domain-specific config language. XML does *NOT* solve this
> problem; it is a *lexical* (meta)language. The structure goes on top.
>
> 2. Point to a different config file when you start a program.
>
> 3. Copy config files, rename them, reuse them, move them into chroot()
> environments, and generally be *free* to do so.

I fail to see how any of the above important considerations are limited in
any way.

> Ah. The "it must all be integrated" straw man. (sigh)

There is no straw man, real advantages and features become available when
configuration data is unified.

Shane.