'Commercial Partners'

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Wed Mar 29 16:02:40 UTC 2006

Eric S. Raymond wrote:

>> If you think MP3, Flash, and Java are the missing "killer apps" to make
>> Fedora Core the desktop for world domination, why don't you take Fedora
>> Core, and those bits (getting licenses as needed), and release your own
>> "Raymond Linux" distribution?  Since everything in Fedora Core is fully
>> redistributable, you are free to do that.
>
> I don't have the money or the lawyers to pull it off.  This sort of thing
> is why we have commercial partners with office buidings.

If you look a bit further in that direction you'll see you're asking
RHAT shareholders to take risks you aren't willing to take yourself.

This stuff is Free software, "we" don't have "commercial partners" as if
it was proprietary and owned by "us" and it is a strategic decision for
some big boss to make.  Unless the license forbids it companies are
welcome the same as individuals to use and copy around the code.
Thereby nobody, no matter who, is able to stand beside a big switch that
decides if "commercial partners" are to be allowed today or not.  Only
the individuals choosing their project license can control it.

-Andy