Fedora's way forward

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Wed Mar 29 16:07:04 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-03-29 at 10:47 -0500, Ivan Gyurdiev wrote:

> > We're not trying to convince you of anything, you're free to go about
> > your business, using Linux in a way that meets your needs.  Please extend
> > to us the same courtesy so everyone can get on with it.
> >
> While I agree with your overall point that keeping Fedora open is a a
> good thing, kindly use singular instead of plural, or qualify which
> group of people you're representing on a community list.
>
> I certainly see "world domination" as a worthy goal, and "open source
> solutions" as a means/strategy to achieving that goal in the long run.

I wouldnt consider buying a mp3 patent license a "open source
solution".

> "solution" addresses the problem of as many people as possible,
> otherwise it's not particularly useful. I think you'd agree that we [
> fedora developers ] are designing software with the end user in mind,
> and not as a goal in itself. Eric's questions certainly seems important
> to answer - there's no reason to be hostile

If the questions are "smart" then yes. Before you ask, try finding the
answer in the web (Mp3 patents are not just for encoders and $50 K
wouldnt get a patent license for lame) . Try reading the manual
(http://fedora.redhat.com/About)  Try reading the FAQ
(http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FAQ). Try to find an answer by asking a
skilled friend (might be a lawyer wife)

Be courteous ( That means dont call people corporate cowards or zealots
for example). Google is your friend (search for mp3 patent license) . In
fact, it's a very good idea to do a keyword search for words relating to
your problem on the newsgroup or mailing list archives before you post.
There are very useful tips from http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-
questions.html.

Rahul