Fedora's way forward

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Wed Mar 29 18:34:38 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-03-29 at 01:33 -0500, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> But the
> reality is that J. Random User wants to listen to podcasts, and the
> podcasts are in MP3.

Please explain why it is difficult for the user to grab

 gstreamer-plugins-bad
 gstreamer-ffmpeg
 gstreamer-plugins-ugly

etc. from a 3rd party repository.

Sure, now you can enumerate tons of practical reasons such as
discoverability and I would even agree with you. I bet a lot of other
people would too. I like this to be easy.

Tell me.. why you don't start a project aiming for better integration of
3rd party repositories outside Fedora Core and Extras? I'm sure it can
be as simple as Alan outlined with the user just having to click a link
in his web browser and, badebing-badebum, all the stuff is installed.

I encourage you to take this task upon you. I think it would be great!

    David