The Strengths and Weakness of Fedora/RHEL OS management

Shane Stixrud shane at geeklords.org
Thu Mar 30 01:40:32 UTC 2006

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006, David Lutterkort wrote:

>> In fact it resembles very much what I have with my Cisco equipment +
>> management software.
>
> Interesting. Any pointers where I can look at docs ?

Well not comprehensive docs per say, but I can outline how it works.

Here is an example of an active config state on a cisco device:

http://geeklords.org/~shane/cisco.cfg

It is important to note from a admin perspective the configuration
directives in the above file IS equal to the function that device has been
instructed to perform.

Now I am not proposing this type of configuration interface would work
for Linux, Cisco has much less to consider and even so there are
things about their configuration process I think could be improved.  But
their semi-standardized plain text directives allows their
management software (cisco resource manager) to easily track system
changes, apply system changes and revert system changes across multiple
platforms using the same "command directives" that the end user would
manually enter.

Being able to easily do the following on Linux would be very nice.

1) Show all configuration directives that are not at their default values
i.e.:

cfg_report -keys -nondefaults /system/dhcpd

system/dhcpd/option/domain-name/
system/dhcpd/option/domain-name-servers/
system/dhcpd/subnet/172.20.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0/
system/dhcpd/subnet/172.20.64.0 netmask 255.255.254.0/
etc...

2) Save/restore keys and values

cfg_mgr -export .ini,xml,tar -nodefaults / >/root/changes.tar
cfg_mgr -import /root/changes.tar /

cfg_mgr -export file / >/root/hostname.cfg (very large path/key/value text
file)

cfg_mgr -import /root/dhcpd.tar /system/dhcpd

3) Display and edit all ntpd's configuration keys/values a standard editor

cfg_edit -export plaintext -editor <editor> /system/ntpd

*note* this would include /etc/ntp/keys /etc/ntp/step-tickers etc..

4) revert dhcpd to a specific date/time

cfg_mgr -revert 03/05/2006 /system/dhcpd

If/when the above is possible centralized config policy management
becomes a no brainer.  We just create a cron job where we can optionally
sync changed keys/values prior to downloading the devices new/active
directives.

cfg_mgr -push -pull -server host.domain.top

Cheers,
Shane