Fedora's way forward

Ian Burrell ianburrell at gmail.com
Thu Mar 30 03:08:24 UTC 2006

On 3/29/06, David Zeuthen <david at fubar.dk> wrote:

> Someone just needs to do the work. Whether the package stems from Core,
> Extras or some 3rd party repo should only make a difference on whether
> you need to click a link on a web page or insert a CD from the
> software/hardware vendor. And discussing whether the one-time pain of
> clicking a link or inserting a CD is too much work for the user is just,
> IMHO, ridiculous.

We are getting there.  Pirut is now the handler for .rpm files.  Which
means that they can run like installers and pirut will install the rpm
and its dependencies.  This could even work for enabling repositories
since many of them have packages which include the .repo files.  They
can downloaded and installed.

It would be nicer if there was a GUI repository manager.  This could
be the handler for .repo files so downloading or running a .repo file
would work and setup the repository.

It would also be helpful to have some meta-packages.  Something that
says to get Adobe Reader working you need to download these packages
from over there.  Or to install MP3 support you need to enable that
repo and install these packages.

 - Ian