The Strengths and Weakness of Fedora/RHEL OS management

n0dalus n0dalus+redhat at gmail.com
Thu Mar 30 10:39:05 UTC 2006

On 3/30/06, Avi Alkalay <avi at unix.sh> wrote:

> Hummm, never heard about puppet. Seems interesting.
> The problem I see with this approach is the additional layer that manages
> the configuration files syntax. And again: ALL configuration files can be
> represented by an hierarchy of key/value pairs. They are different because
> they received a considerable amount of syntax fat to make them look nicer to
> your human eyes. And what puppet seems to do is try to work with this fat.

What would be really cool is to have a file-system based configuration
system, where a config file is mounted into a user space or kernel
file-system driver. Then programs could use whatever config file
format they like, and as long as there is a translation module for it,
people can change/view things with simple echo/cat commands. Like
/proc/sys/.
Eg: cat 80 > /conf/httpd/Listen

Probably just madness,
n0dalus.