Fedora's way forward

Stephen J. Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Thu Mar 30 22:49:34 UTC 2006

On 3/30/06, Eric S. Raymond <esr at thyrsus.com> wrote:

> Some DFedor people have said no.  Some have said "whoa -- the naysayers
> don't have the right to speak for me".  I haven't heard an answer from
> Red Hat.
>
> What's it going to be?

Eric, I doubt you are going to hear an official Red Hat answer on this
list because this is a Fedora list and Red Hat seems to really trying
to make the seperation between the two more solid in the last 6
months. I also doubt you are going to get an anwer you will like.. to
quote Steve Jobs from 1996

"""
"If I were running Apple, I would milk the Macintosh for all it's
worth -- and get busy on the next great thing. The PC wars are over.
Done. Microsoft won a long time ago."
-- Fortune, Feb. 19, 1996
"""

I don't think that Red Hat, IBM, or even Google would say differently.
Microsoft is the 800 pound gorilla.. the best Red Hat can hope for is
to be the Chimp who gets beaten up for his bananas. Apple seems to be
re-inventing itself to be a music/movie company. Google looks to be
actually fullfilling the old Netscape mantra of the Web is the thing.
IBM is into servers and backend services. I don't know what Red Hat is
into anymore.. but personally I wouldnt go into the desktop market
with anything less than what Apple offers in 'cool' features for even
a hope of doing battle with the windmills of Patents, Microsoft, etc.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
CSIRT/Linux System Administrator