Fedora's way forward

sean seanlkml at sympatico.ca
Fri Mar 31 00:22:43 UTC 2006

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 18:57:53 -0500
"Eric S. Raymond" <esr at thyrsus.com> wrote:

> The technology isn't the hard part.  The hard part is accepting that
> 100% free software dogmatism is not good enough as a guide to action,
> because all dogma does is shut your brain down.  And that what
> ordinary users want to do with their computers actually matters.
>
> If we can get our brains that far along the path, the tech and the
> money and the lawyers are all solvable problems.

Being able to have your needs met by open source software alone
isn't dogmatism, it's a reality for many people.  They have every
right to a distribution specifically designed for their needs; just
as Fedora is.

People who want to add proprietary repositories on top of Fedora
already  do so without much trouble.   Your desire to step over that
last inch isn't based on pragmatism but rather your dogmatism
about the proper way to world domination.

Your dream that Linux is just a few binary modules away from world
domination is such a pipe dream it just isn't worth tarnishing the
premier open source distribution over.

If you can get your brain that far a long, it would be nice.

Sean