Fedora's way forward

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Fri Mar 31 09:03:32 UTC 2006

On 3/31/06, Eric S. Raymond <esr at thyrsus.com> wrote:
> Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com>:
> > Why should media formts be singled out for this special treatment?
>
> Because they're especially important for boosting our rate of adoption
> among nontechnical users.

He was making a "freedom" argument. He wasn't arguing "adoption rate".
 It would help if you made an effort to keep the arguments other
people are making compartmentalized from your own thoughts. I'd
suggest using tomboy and making notes as to how the discussion is
organized.

If you want to keep plugging away at the adoption rate argument
mantra... be my guest.  I've no agenda as to achievable adoption
rates...since we have no adoption metrics for any release of fedora to
inform decision making.  It is in fact quite silly to be making
adoption rate arguments for any feature decision because such
decisions can't actually be tested to see how they impact adoption
rates.  But hey don't let silly thinks like metrics keep you from
feeling this is the most important thing for you to spend time on.

-jef"that's right ntfs is absolutely not something non-technical users
will desire as an enhancement, since the most assuredly don't have a
pre-existing ntfs partiion..which is holding the wma media that they
want to play. Nope I never ever see people trying to deal what that
specific problem...ever...never ever"spaleta