Fedora's way forward

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Fri Mar 31 15:23:06 UTC 2006

Eric S. Raymond wrote :

> David Zeuthen <david at fubar.dk>:
> > Tell me.. why you don't start a project aiming for better integration of
> > 3rd party repositories outside Fedora Core and Extras? I'm sure it can
> > be as simple as Alan outlined with the user just having to click a link
> > in his web browser and, badebing-badebum, all the stuff is installed.
> >
> > I encourage you to take this task upon you. I think it would be great!
>
> Would Fedora carry a script or application intended to make easy access
> to such third-party repositories available, even on the premise that they
> carry proprietary software?
>
> If the answer is "yes", then I would in fact be willing to work on this.

I think it's already all pretty simple... here's an example :

1) Go to http://freshrpms.net/ with firefox on FC5 (the default)
2) Click on "click here"
3) Enter your root password when prompted
4) Run "Add/Remove Software" from the menu

That's pretty much it.
If you search for "mp3" you'll get somewhere...

What bugs me the most is that although things are trivial for broadband
users, it's simply impossible for dialup users (or users with no Internet
connection at all) to achieve the same, unlike in FC4 where I had made a
"Freshrpms CD" that let you install MPlayer, VLC, Xine, dvd::rip, XMMS
plugins etc.

Matthias

Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux) - Linux kernel 2.6.16-1.2080_FC5
Load : 1.05 0.90 0.75