'Commercial Partners'

Avi Alkalay avi at unix.sh
Fri Mar 31 19:32:04 UTC 2006

On 3/31/06, Andy Green <andy at warmcat.com> wrote:
> Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> > I'm not doing this for my health, Andy.  Linux is in a fluid competitive
> > situation with a lot of powerful enemies.  It's grow or die.  I'm trying
> > to avoid "die".
>
> I don't see a single reason to accept your dramatic characterizations as
> accurate.

To help Eric fine tune his accuracy, I have to say that I work in a
global well known IT company, on Linux solutions sales. We fight
everyday for Linux not to die in the commercial world, because of this
annoying "missing packages". On the commercial desktop space this is
specially annoying.

This is so ridiculous that you still can find Linux sales people
making Linux presentations on Linux events using MS PowerPoint. Just
because to use Linux isn't that straight forward as Andy may think.

I believe that too much religion in our OSS world doesn't help much.
Exactly as real religions, it makes its followers a bit blind to see
whats really happening out there.

So I think Eric is pretty accurate in its statement.

Thank you,
Avi