Recommended laptop for FC5, was: glxgears

William Lovaton walovaton at yahoo.com.mx
Wed Mar 1 13:20:04 UTC 2006

Curiously enough yesterday I was thinking about buying
a laptop myself and I got my eye on a Dell Inspiron
630m:
http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/inspn_630m?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd&~page=2&~tab=specstab#tabtop

It seems to ship an Intel Media Accelerator 900 with
128 MB of video memory and I think it uses the 915G
chipset family:
http://www.intel.com/design/graphics/gma900/

Is this video card well supported (as in open source
support) on the linux kernel and Xorg server?  Can
anyone provide some links where I could read more
information about this?  Anyone have some experience
with this laptop with Fedora or Ubuntu (mainly
Fedora)?

Richard, may be you are not interested about gaming
but if you want the latest X stuff we have been seeing
around you will need good 3D support any way.

Cheers,

-William