Announcement: update RPMs using delta compression for low bandwidth users

Jack Spaar jspaar at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Mar 2 01:13:28 UTC 2006

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 18:18:36 +0000, Joe Desbonnet wrote:

> This software is for individual Fedora users and sys-admins who need to
> update one or more Fedora systems that are connected to the internet
> with low to medium bandwidth link (eg dialup, ISDN, satellite).

I couldn't get tomcat going on FC4 easily (first time messing with it).
So I set up tomcat on a rawhide box and pointed it to your test repo of
deltas and a local copy of FC4 base RPMS.  Then I was able to update an
FC4 box by changing only the /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-updates.repo to use
that rawhide box as a yum virtual repo.  It worked great.

A few notes:

A typo in the manual (http://www.wombat.ie/software/rpmdc/manual.html):
>In the 'updates-released' section
>of the file change the baseurl to
>
>baseurl=http://localhost:8080/RPMDC/repo/pub/fedora/linux/core/$releasever/$basearch/os/

Should be:
.../core/updates/$releasever/$basearch/

IMO it would also be handy to have a link to the RPMDC download in the
installation section of the RPMDC manual.

Rpm-devel is required to compile deltarpm (this will be obvious to
some from the compiler errors about missing includes).

RPMDC wouldn't compile on the rawhide box [(GCC) 4.1.0 20060219 (Red
Hat 4.1.0-0.29)] like it would on FC4, but the .war provided in the binary
tarball ran just fine.

Tomcat needed the xml-commons-apis package to keep it from complaining at
startup.

Neat project!

--Jack Spaar