Udev issues in today's coming rawhide

John Thacker thacker at math.cornell.edu
Thu Mar 2 15:13:02 UTC 2006

On Thu, Mar 02, 2006 at 03:39:21PM +0100, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> better would be to use UUID's, or at least vendor identification strings
> etc from the device. We need to NOT tie these device names to underlying
> accidental device numbers. That is a major major step back.

Wouldn't vendor identification strings, at least by themselves, still
cause problems when people have two identical model devices?  That's
fairly rare for CDROM devices but not unheard of.  From what I understand
of the output of udevinfo, it doesn't look like a UUID is exported
as an environment variable the way that the vendor id strings are.
I don't claim to understand everything, though, and of course it could
be changed as well.

My understanding anyway is that the old method still somewhat depended
the underlying accidental device numbers, at least when it came to
deciding which was /dev/cdrom and which was /dev/cdrom1.

John Thacker