aiglx

Benjy Grogan benjy.grogan at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 19:39:23 UTC 2006

On 3/2/06, Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> Benjy Grogan wrote:
>
> >Isn't Red Hat forking the accelerated GL community by working on AIGLX
> >instead of Xgl?  It seems like Xgl is to AIGLX as SELinux is to AppArmor.
> >

> The analogy here seems to be off the mark since AIGLX and SELinux has
> been developed in the open right from the start unlike AppArmor and XGL
> and unlike security frameworks such as SELinux, there are different
> approaches you can experiment with in a budding development of
> accelerated interfaces without any fundamental forks. You might want to
> read the FAQ at http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/RenderingProject/aiglx on
> doing incremental updates in comparison to whole sale rewrites of a X
> server.
>
> The media likes to paint black and white situations of X vs Y while
> there is also a code sharing between XGL and AIGLX going on.

You're referring to the GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap extension.  Of course
there will be sharing but ultimately they are two competing methods of
improving X.  AIGLX, AFAIK just appeared a few weeks ago.  Xgl has been in
the works for a few years, and there's alot of thought behind it.  There's
an architecture (much like SELinux...) and while I'm still not certain of
this, hopefully more than eye candy.

AIGLX appears to me to be all eye candy.  It's been put together last minute
as an answer to Xgl.  I wasn't impressed by the demos of AIGLX.  I was blown
away by the demos for Xgl.  I like how Miguel de Icaza characterized Xgl as
"a lot of work" and that's what's needed.  It would be cool if Red Hat got
behind Xgl to accelerate development on Xgl, just like Novell should've
stayed with SELinux and accelerated it's development.

But it is somewhat black and white to pit XGL versus AIGLX, nevertheless I
think it will prove true in the end.

Benji