Recommended laptop for FC5, was: glxgears

Jon Nettleton jon.nettleton at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 23:32:27 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-03-02 at 14:53 -0800, Pete Zaitcev wrote:
> On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 00:57:37 +0000, Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > So if I was buying a new laptop sometime soonish, what chipset is best
> > for all this new accelerated X stuff?
>
> Apropos this, what is the situation with VIA Unichrome? Mike?
> IIRC, they had an open driver as a plug-in for old X, and it was
> poorly written, so someone started a rewrite. Did anything come
> out of it? You know, those Averatecs really look attractive...
>
> -- Pete

I currently use an Averatec 3250, that I have had for a year and a half.
It is a nice little machine (4.4lbs) and completely suites my needs.  I
currently run the via driver from www.openchrome.org, and have no video
problems with it.  These drivers do have EXA support now thanks to some
excellent work by Thomas Hellström.

I will warn you that suspend to ram does not work.  It is one of the VIA
chipsets that suspends properly then reboots when you hit the power
button to wake it up. There has been a kernel bugzilla open since 2.6.9.
Suspend to disk does work on and off, depending what has been done to
the kernel that night.  Since this is just my mobile machine I don't
have a huge need for suspend.

Hope this helps.

Jon