Recommended laptop for FC5, was: glxgears

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Mon Mar 6 17:21:49 UTC 2006

On Thu, Mar 02, 2006 at 02:53:38PM -0800, Pete Zaitcev wrote:
> Apropos this, what is the situation with VIA Unichrome? Mike?
> IIRC, they had an open driver as a plug-in for old X, and it was
> poorly written, so someone started a rewrite. Did anything come
> out of it? You know, those Averatecs really look attractive...

My VIA unichrome 3D seems to worry pretty well now. The never open sourced
their mpeg engine because of patent concerns but Ivor Hewitt figured that out
and fixed the problem 8)

The slice engine is a great help for TV and the 3D works but the 3D performance
is not stunning. Its fine for tuxracer/bzflag but isnt going to make a gamer
happy