username best practices and other conventions

Rudolf Kastl che666 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 7 09:13:49 UTC 2006

2006/3/6, Karel Zak <kzak at redhat.com>:
> On Thu, Mar 02, 2006 at 04:21:12PM +0000, Joe Desbonnet wrote:
> > I think it's time to move beyond those traditional limits. At some
> > point we got over the 14 char file name limits, and the world is a
> > better place for it.
> >
> > I much prefer to spend a few more characters for clarity. Eg
>
>  Hmm.. spend for what? For example "ps aux" uses all terminal columns
>  and on traditional terminal with 80 columns there will be less space
>  for the command column. So we will lost a lot of useful information
>  about all processes, because there is one process that running with
>  obscure username. I think 8 chars is good compromise. BTW, if you
>  want to see full usernames you can use:
>
>  ps -eo user:14,pid,%cpu,%mem,vsz,rss,tty,stat,start_time,time,command
>
> > > IMHO, Fedora should respect the traditional best practices and
> > > conventions (not speaking solely about usernames) and not violate them
> > > without good reason. It seems there is maybe a carefree indifference or
> > > possibly ignorant attitude about the "old ways". Breaking long standing
> > > conventions in itself violates the principal of least surprise --
> > > something sys admins do not care for.
>
>  Agree.
>
> > > distcache = 9
> > > haldaemon = 9
> > > nfsnobody = 9
> > > webalizer = 9
> > > beagleindex = 11
>
>  Please, fill bugzilla.
>
>    Karel
>
> --
>  Karel Zak  <kzak at redhat.com>
>
> --

this sounds to me like going back to 8 char filenames again. best
practice with the limitations of the last decade ... i dont know if
thats the right approach...

if a console command has problems to deal with proper output id fix
the command. just my opinion.

Using cryptic names also makes stuff less obvious with no real gain in
my eyes besides working around some limitations of console commands
maybe as described above.

regards,
Rudolf Kastl