FC more FHS clashes (was: BIND and FHS)

Tomasz Kłoczko kloczek at zie.pg.gda.pl
Tue Mar 7 16:22:13 UTC 2006

Dnia 07-03-2006, wto o godzinie 10:57 -0500, Jeff Spaleta napisał(a):
> On 3/6/06, Tomasz Kłoczko <kloczek at zie.pg.gda.pl> wrote:
> > - many programs still uses /var/spool/mail,
> >
> > # LANG= grep /var/spool/mail /usr/bin/* /usr/sbin/* /sbin/* /bin/*
>
> Did you run the equilalent grep for /var/mail  ?  I think you should,
> and then do a diff against both lists to get a more accurate picture
> of potential compliance problems.

# ( LANG= ; grep /var/mail /bin/* /usr/bin/* /usr/sbin/* /sbin/*;
grep /var/spool/mail /bin/* /usr/bin/* /usr/sbin/* /sbin/* ) | sort |
uniq -d
Binary file /usr/bin/balsa-ab matches
Binary file /usr/bin/balsa matches
Binary file /usr/bin/epic-EPIC4-2.2 matches
Binary file /usr/bin/epic matches
Binary file /usr/bin/gkrellm matches
Binary file /usr/bin/incm matches

So in this kind buggy programs we have some additional subclass :>

> balsa for example... matches for both /var/mail and /var/spool/mail
> I don't see how you can make a judgement about uncompliant behavior
> based on grep matches for binaries which match both /var/mail and
> /var/spool/mail.  There is nothing in the fhs which says that an
> application can't look for other directories as well as /var/mail.

Don't try look on stupid examples ;>
Try answer on some very basig/elementar questio like: if some programs
uses only one location (with full success) why some other tries be "more
smarter" ? :)

kloczek