FC more FHS clashes (was: BIND and FHS)

Nigel Metheringham nigel.metheringham at dev.intechnology.co.uk
Tue Mar 7 16:25:03 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-03-07 at 17:11 +0100, Tomasz Kłoczko wrote:
> Yes it IS wrong because it is location of installed sendmail binaries.
> FHS says something like "do not use directly /usr/sbin/sendmail binary
> but use sendmail command line compliant binary (or symlink to this
> binary) which must be installed/avalaible in /usr/lib/sendmail".

Does it bollocks!

http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#AEN1402
        For historical reasons, /usr/lib/sendmail must be a symbolic
        link to /usr/sbin/sendmail if the latter exists. [24]

http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#FTN.AEN1402
        Some executable commands such as makewhatis and sendmail have
        also been traditionally placed in /usr/lib. makewhatis is an
        internal binary and must be placed in a binary directory; users
        access only catman. Newer sendmail binaries are now placed by
        default in /usr/sbin. Additionally, systems using a
        sendmail-compatible mail transfer agent must
        provide /usr/sbin/sendmail as a symbolic link to the appropriate
        executable.

There are 2 other passing references to sendmail which are not relevant
to this.

There is no reference to not directly calling /usr/sbin/sendmail (or
even calling it at all)

	Nigel.