PANIC on RPMDB... can't even get version numbers for installed packages...

Paul Nasrat pnasrat at redhat.com
Wed Mar 8 13:00:03 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-03-08 at 09:50 -0300, Casimiro de Almeida Barreto wrote:
> I did the same procedure as I'd do with M$...
>
> 1) Reboot the system
> 2) ftp download.fedora.redhat.com
> 3) download glibc*
> 4) rpm -Uvh --force --nodeps glibc-comm* (yeah... after a reboot rpm
> works)
> 5) rm glibc-comm* && rpm -Uvh --force --nodeps glibc*
>
> And everything comes back to life...

1) Use a depsolver eg: yum update glibc this will do the right thing.
Updating by hand is really not the way to do things. The fedora
documentation projejct explain how to use yum, I suggest you read that.

2) What do you expect from partial forced updates force/nodeps have no
use in a casual update.

3) rpm -Uvh glibc-...rpm glibc-common....rpm should work also

Basically don't do it like that....

Paul