Fedora Core 5 Status

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Fri Mar 10 17:25:49 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-03-10 at 12:20 -0500, Philippe Rigault wrote:
> I have two problems with this:
>
> The first is that FC5 will be released essentially _untested_ after two of its
> main components were upgraded to a stable release after FC5test3:
>  - gcc 4.1.0
>  - glibc-2.4
>
> It could be argued that FC5 will be _released_ with a stable release of its
> compiler and C library, but not that this had been tested.

The changes between what we shipped in test3 and what we're going to be
shipping are extremely small.  And we _always_ have to fix bugs in
things between test3 and the final release, sometimes larger ones than
the diff present there.

> The second goes the same way, arguing that if test3 is the latest test
> release, any new major component should _not_ be upgraded to a new release,
> which is particularly true for a big beast like GNOME.

Again, the changes going in at this point are all small targeted bug
fixes as they wind down their release cycle.

Trust me, we're looking at diffs of everything that's going in at this
point and if some component of GNOME goes off and rewrites a huge chunk
of how it works, we're not going to pull it in.

Jeremy