match between gnome 2.14 "manifesto" and upcoming fc5 features

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Mon Mar 13 17:56:35 UTC 2006

hello,
as one of the core features of fc5 will be final gnome 2.14, I tried
to match up what described at gnome.org  "A look at Gnome 2.14" (see
http://www.gnome.org/%7Edavyd/gnome-2-14/), that seems to me a sort of
manifesto of the new functionalities a user will find in upcoming
gnome 2.14, with fc5 at this point.
Take it as a cue, to eventually refine release notes, so that users
that expect fc5 <--> gnome 2.14 are aware of fc5 components.
Gianluca

- speed king
   - gslice timings: unable to try: anyone is able to tell me how to bench this?
   - gnome terminal performance: it is stated 1 second, while I'm not
able to go under 6.5...

- locked out
description of pessulus (lock down editor for gnome)
I could not find it neither in core nor in extras at this moment. Will
fedora include a comparative component?

- Push it
Admin suite sabayon, to create profiles for user and groups
found in fc5 extras but unable to install it due to the fact that
[root at pevit00 RPMS]# yum install sabayon-admin
Setting up Install Process
Setting up repositories
extras-development                                                   [1/2]
development                                                          [2/2]
Parsing package install arguments
Resolving Dependencies
--> Populating transaction set with selected packages. Please wait.
---> Package sabayon-admin.x86_64 0:2.12.3-3 set to be updated
---> Package sabayon-admin.noarch 0:0.18-1 set to be updated
--> Running transaction check
--> Processing Dependency: xorg-x11-Xnest for package: sabayon-admin
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
Error: Missing Dependency: xorg-x11-Xnest is needed by package sabayon-admin

and in core the Xnest server is named now xorg-x11-server-Xnest

- Searching for love
it is ok, but recent decision is that beagled is disabled by default.
Running search in nautilus I get unable to contact beagle daemon.
manually starting beagled is ok....

- Help!
Ok for x86, while when using search in yelp for x86_64 I have it
crashed (I'm going to open a bugzilla number) with the messages:
(yelp:5244): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid unclassed pointer in
cast to `BeagleRequest'

(yelp:5244): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_type_instance_get_private:
assertion `instance != NULL && instance->g_class != NULL' failed

Same version yelp-2.13.6-1 for both x86 and x86_64

- Message to my girl
ekiga is here. Not tested yet

- Look through any window
. windows edge resistance: It seems to me that is not in place
. multimonitor support optimizations: not tested
. remote X windows: it seems ok; I have at the end of the title of
remote  X windows the label "(on otherhost.otherdomain.com)"
. metacity composite manager:
work in progress with details at
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/RenderingProject/aiglx
but it is stated as an initial feature disabled by default also in gnome itself

- You've Got The Whole World In Your Hand
deskbar-applet is at the moment in extras. Ok on x86; it doesn't work
for me on x86_64 (I'm going to open bugzilla point): the icon stays
grey and I'm not able to wwrite in it...

- Changes
fast user switching: I have not been able to activate it; anyone can
give help if the feature is here?

- Evolution
OK. I'm testing it against exchange 2003 and it seems quite more
stable and performant in respect with previous versions.

- Writing montage
it seems ok

- Sharp dressed man
OK

- daysleeper
ok

- It's only sound
ok for gstreamer 0.10 part

- Choices
OK

- Do You See What I See?
Upcoming.. notification framework seems already in place, for example
with low disk space and battery on laptops.