Re-view FC5 hardware requirements for GNOME

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sun Mar 19 09:37:11 UTC 2006

Kevin Verma wrote:

>Hello,
>
>Quoting on the subject, I had gone through a review article for Gnome
>2.14 and I began wondering if FC5 release notes should mention a
>reviewed hardware requirement for GNOME 2.14 based desktop
>installations, as per the facts delivered in this review article (
>http://www.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/03/17/0350228 ).
>
>"Still, even allowing for my unscientific timing, the increase in
>speed is impressive. It should be especially welcome on older,
>RAM-challenged machines."
>
>For some reasons I am not using rawhide as of now, so some one else
>would be in a better position to suggest and test further, Rahul ?

The requirements specified in the release notes can be still considered
reasonable. I have been running it with reasonable performance on lower
end systems though.

>I will also like to mention couple of facts that member developers of
>FC team from developed countries could learn during Linux Asia 06,
>(since those are not qouted much anywhere else) that in developing
>nations, power disruptions affected and low on resources machines ....
>--> expect Linux installations self recoverable,

Should happen at some point. check out rescue mode automation at
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/AnacondaWorkItems.

>--> expects software suspend an important feature,

There has been some integration work done earlier. It should work on
many systems for Fedora Core 5. If it doesnt, kindly file bug reports
with the hardware details.

>--> expects lower hardware requirements.

The work that has been happening on the OLPC front -
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/OLPC should help clean up dependencies and
yield some performance benefits for low end systems.

--
Rahul