Wild and crazy times for the development tree

Mike A. Harris mharris at mharris.ca
Mon Mar 20 21:49:42 UTC 2006

Peter Robinson wrote:
>>>to grab the fedora-release package from the FC5 release instead.  If
>>>you want to keep testing and helping to develop things for Fedora
>>>Core 6, expect for some fun to pop up as always.
>>
>>Sooo... what are we going to break first?
>

> I'd vote on some X funnies at some stage as the 3D stuff that didn't
> make FC5 comes in at some stage.... bring it on!!!

Hehe.

There has been a fair bit of upstream X.Org stable branch commits
lately for the 2D ati driver, and X server - mostly benh's memory
map fixes and other various Radeon fixes.  There are some known
problems I believe, but once they're straightened out, I think there
is going to be a new upstream "ati" driver release from the stable
branch.

Adam Jackson is also working towards a new stable-branch Xorg server
release.

When each of these become available upstream as tarballed releases,
we'll merge them into rawhide to get the testing process going.  Down
the road once any regressions are worked out, we'll probably pull them
both into FC5-updates also.

R300 DRI support is quite unstable however, and will probably be held
back until it shows signs of greater stability.  When I say this, I
do so knowing that some people who have tried it have found it to be
fairly stable for their own hardware/situation.  My definition of
"stable" is "works stable for majority of people, with little to no
bug reports, and does not cause massive bugzilla influx of bugs when
the driver is provided".

So, R300 dri support will be something you need to compile for yourself
for the time being if desired.  Also, our kernel does not have the
R300+ PCI IDs in it anymore, so you may need to recompile your kernel
as well.  Not sure what davej's specific plans are for that, but I hope
he keeps the R300 PCI IDs out of the kernel at least until the r300
DRI driver is remotely useable large-scale.

--
Mike A. Harris  *  Open Source Advocate  *  http://mharris.ca
                       Proud Canadian.