Wild and crazy times for the development tree

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Tue Mar 21 04:04:46 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-03-20 at 21:15 +0000, Paul F. Johnson wrote:
> A *much* reduced core size (5 CDs + rescue is getting a bit much)

IMHO its getting time to just forget CDs. Put out DVD isos only. (At the
very least, stop worrying about how many CDs core fills and worry about
fitting on one DVDR...)

Especially with yum backed network installs becoming available. If you
don't want to download and burn an entire DVD iso, just download a
10-50mb network install iso. This is what I do with debian on the rare
occasion I install a system from scratch. Since I only install a system
once every few years, its a huge waste to me to download and burn 5+
disks that I'm only going to use once.

Someone on IRC was arguing that in many parts of the world, bandwidth is
very expensive. I don't see how 5 CDs to download vs a DVD make a
difference here. The real question is, how common are DVD burners, and
most importantly, DVD readers in various parts of the world.

I suppose the thing to do is keep an eye on CD downloads vs DVD. Let the
community decide.