Wild and crazy times for the development tree

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Tue Mar 21 04:11:57 UTC 2006

On Mon, Mar 20, 2006 at 10:04:46PM -0600, Callum Lerwick wrote:

 > Especially with yum backed network installs becoming available. If you
 > don't want to download and burn an entire DVD iso, just download a
 > 10-50mb network install iso. This is what I do with debian on the rare
 > occasion I install a system from scratch. Since I only install a system
 > once every few years, its a huge waste to me to download and burn 5+
 > disks that I'm only going to use once.
 >
 > Someone on IRC was arguing that in many parts of the world, bandwidth is
 > very expensive. I don't see how 5 CDs to download vs a DVD make a
 > difference here. The real question is, how common are DVD burners, and
 > most importantly, DVD readers in various parts of the world.

DVD writers aren't anywhere near as commonplace as CD writers yet.
Looking around right now, I have 7 computers near me. CD writers outnumber
DVD writers 6:1.  (And the majority of the computers with CD writers are
less than 2 years old (two of them are <6 months old))

(ironically, the dvd writer is my 3 month old laptop)

I'm not claiming to be representative of the majority of Fedora users,
but given there are a lot of Fedora users less fortunate than myself,
I believe that discontinuing CD iso's would severely impact a huge portion
of our userbase.  It'd be interesting to see the download stats to see
if they agree with this.

		Dave
--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk