Wild and crazy times for the development tree

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Tue Mar 21 04:19:49 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-03-20 at 19:43 -0500, Mike A. Harris wrote:
> Ian Pilcher wrote:
> > Mike A. Harris wrote:
> >
> >>All proprietary drivers?  ;o)
> >>

> > I can't help wondering...
> >
> > What do you guys do when you want decent 3D performance?

Use the proprietary drivers ... :-)

> That'll likely vary greatly from person to person, rather than there
> being one single unified answer.

> Whenever I do need/want 3D enabled support for something in Linux,
> I fire up another machine and use it instead, leaving my primary
> desktop in a stable DRI-disabled state.
>
> To answer the "when do I want decent 3D performance" question,
> I must first answer "When do I want accelerated 3D at all?".

> So, what do I use OpenGL for?  More or less for video games,

You are ignoring the fact, Linux has a strong user base in people with a
scientific/engineering/technical background ...

> Now...  if I _was_ actually trying to get a game or some other
> accelerated OpenGL software to work in Linux, I would use
> whatever the best card I have on hand with OSS driver support
> was at the given point in time.

Whether you like it or not ... reality is different.

People are pragmatically using what they have/can get/are supplied with,
and will ditch the distro or even the OS if it doesn't suite to their
demands. Fortunately for Fedora, the proprietary drivers have worked
sufficiently well.

Ralf