Wild and crazy times for the development tree

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Tue Mar 21 05:07:28 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-03-20 at 23:39 -0500, Dave Jones wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 20, 2006 at 11:35:47PM -0500, Bill Nottingham wrote:
>  > Dave Jones (davej at redhat.com) said:
>  > > I'm not claiming to be representative of the majority of Fedora users,
>  > > but given there are a lot of Fedora users less fortunate than myself,
>  > > I believe that discontinuing CD iso's would severely impact a huge portion
>  > > of our userbase.  It'd be interesting to see the download stats to see
>  > > if they agree with this.
>  >
>  > DVD downloads outnumber CD downloads roughly 2:1 on x86, 5:1 on x86_64,
>  > and 6:1 on ppc.

Don't trust any statistics you didn't forge yourself ;)

What did you count? Successful complete downloads or accesses?

The DVD image is the first a recursive download would access, so if you
counted accesses you'd erroniously count retries (which are likely to
happen due to the size of the image).

> I guess I should stop living in the past and get some DVD writables ;)
Don't forget about people with
* low bandwidth/limited download contingents. To many of them, DVD
images aren't a real alternative, because downloading them would block
internet-access for a considerable amount of time.
* machines without DVD-ROMs still require CDs.

Ralf