Wild and crazy times for the development tree

Hans Kristian Rosbach hk at isphuset.no
Tue Mar 21 11:16:25 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-03-20 at 23:29 -0600, Callum Lerwick wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-03-20 at 23:11 -0500, Dave Jones wrote:
> > DVD writers aren't anywhere near as commonplace as CD writers yet.
> > Looking around right now, I have 7 computers near me. CD writers outnumber
> > DVD writers 6:1.  (And the majority of the computers with CD writers are
> > less than 2 years old (two of them are <6 months old))
> >
> > (ironically, the dvd writer is my 3 month old laptop)
>
> Yeah, but you own at least one, and that's the point. Extend this to
> "friends with DVD writers". How many people don't have one?

This does not hold in all cases.

For example take any server hosting company, at least here the cd-roms
outnumber the dvd-roms approx 15:1 at the moment. All new servers gets
dvd-roms, but we don't want to exchange several hundred cd-roms into
dvd-roms. Besides I hardly ever need more than cd1 on those servers
due to the post-install script fetching most useful packages so I only
need to do a minimal install on all servers no matter what purpose they
will have.

And then at home, I have dvd-roms in all my workstations but my mother
(and many others that I help out at times) does not. So i would still
need to carry the cd version as that is universally usable. For that
reason I have never even downloaded a single FC dvd image yet.

My firewall and all development boxes have only cd-roms as most of them
are P2/P3/Xeon 700Mhz, and even my dual Xeon 2.8Ghz has a cd-rom.

-HK