Wild and crazy times for the development tree

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Tue Mar 21 13:58:14 UTC 2006

Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On 3/20/06, Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com> wrote:
>> DVD downloads outnumber CD downloads roughly 2:1 on x86, 5:1 on x86_64,
>> and 6:1 on ppc.
>
> Is that for fc5?
>
> I'd think the same statistic over the lifetime of a release would be
> more interesting.  I'd argue the people who participate during the
> release surge are a skewed sample of the overall population.

Not only that, people who download at any time are a skewed sample of
the overall population. A lot of people obtain their install media from
other sources: the CD-Writer of a friend, a magazine, etc.

Also, the 2:1 ratio can be interpreted the other way: at least 33% users
prefer CDs for installation, going DVD only would leave them in the cold.

--
nicu
my hats collection: http://fedora.nicubunu.ro/hats/