Mirrorlist missing mirrors?

Elliot Lee sopwith at redhat.com
Tue Mar 21 23:19:45 UTC 2006

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006, Ralph Angenendt wrote:

> Elliot Lee wrote:
> > I am all in favor of fixing what is broken, but so far the only specific
> > complaint has been from Jef about the difficulty of seeing what's going on
> > with things. Other than that, I guess I really need to understand the
> > specifics of the problem so I can do my part to help fix them...
>
> I had yum bailing out on my when timeouts occured. It printed out
> "Trying other mirror." and then complained about having run out of
> available mirrors.

That particular problem should have been fixed a little while ago...

> At the moment (with the mirrorlist available), using different mirrors
> works again:
>
> | Downloading Packages:
> | http://fedora.inode.at/updates/5/i386/bind-config-9.3.2-10.FC5.i386.rpm:
> | [Errno 14] HTTP Error 404: Content-Type: text/html
> | Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 22:51:14 GMT
> | Server: lighttpd/1.4.11
> | Trying other mirror.
> | (1/4): bind-config-9.3.2- 100% |=========================|  50 kB 00:00
>
> Second: Having the redirector on the serverside makes plugins like
> fastestmirror completely useless, as only one mirror will be found and
> tested. What happens if the server running the redirector goes down?

And what will happen if the server hosting the mirrorlist goes down? :)

I can't help with the fastestmirror thing per se, and I know there are
people who are on the same backbone as a fast mirror and would rather make
use of that mirror by default. Some people will be helped by GeoIP (slated
to happen sometime). And perhaps there can be a way for clients to report
back to the server which mirrors they find fastest, while still allowing
the server to have a voice in the redirect decision. Let's try to figure
out the best of both worlds...

We do have a redundant setup that should be able to handle a reasonable
amount of problems, but nothing is foolproof.
-- Elliot