Wild and crazy times for the development tree

Pedro Fernandes Macedo webmaster at margo.bijoux.nom.br
Wed Mar 22 01:39:18 UTC 2006

Callum Lerwick wrote:
> Someone on IRC was arguing that in many parts of the world, bandwidth is
> very expensive. I don't see how 5 CDs to download vs a DVD make a
> difference here. The real question is, how common are DVD burners, and
> most importantly, DVD readers in various parts of the world.

Please ignore that comment about bandwith.. I was a bit sleepy at the
time and my brain was working in a weird way.
The issue really is DVD reader/burner availability as mentioned several
times on this thread. Checking just two places directly connected to
internet and technology that I have/had access to, I'd have to say that
the number of DVD readers and burners is still very small, even in a
major city here in Brazil (I live in the 3rd biggest city of the
country). In my workplace (a company that specializes in tech support
for other companies), we dont have a single DVD burner, we have two DVD
readers that and all the other machines have CDs. In the university
where I just finished my CS course, I know for sure of the existence of
about 10 DVD burners in desktop computers/servers owned by the
department, while most computers have a CD reader.

Another big issue is the availability of reliable DVD-/+R discs and
their price. While in the US you can get a 50 pack for a relatively
small price, here a 50 pack from a good brand is about 50 reais (about
US$25,00. Just as a reference, the minimum wage here is R$300,00 or
US$150,00) and you only can find those on ebay. You can also find some
cheap discs for R$2,00 each, but then you better pray that it lasts
enough time for you to remove the disk from the burner and put in the
reader of the machine you want to install

As for the statistics cited by Bill Nottingham, I'm certain they're very
favorable to DVD isos, specially if you consider that in the release
notes and in the release announcement it's strongly suggested that
bittorrent be used to download the DVD images since a few broken
ftp/http clients and servers may not be able to handle such big files,
while bittorrent works perfectly.

--
Pedro Macedo