Broken bind (Re: rawhide report: 20060321 changes)

Jason Vas Dias jvdias at redhat.com
Wed Mar 22 16:06:05 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 22 March 2006 06:51, Tomasz Kłoczko <kloczek at zie.pg.gda.pl> wrote:
>  Dnia 21-03-2006, wto o godzinie 03:18 -0500, Build System napisał(a):
>>
>  Last change breaks bind. After upgrade to this named is started
>  with /etc/named.caching-nameserver.conf as default config.
>  Anyone performs some minimal testing after this kind changes ?

Yes, I've been performing "maximal" testing with this configuration over
the past few weeks - no problems have been discovered.

The $ROOTDIR/etc/named.caching-nameserver.conf is ONLY used if no
$ROOTDIR/etc/named.conf file exists.

>  So after upgrade if someone was using non caching configuration this
>  upgrade f* named :>

Your point is ?

>  IMO last revision (1.41) from /cvs/dist/devel/bind/named.init from CVS
>  repo can be reverted because using custom/non-default config file can be
>  used
>  by /etc/sysconfig/named::OPTIONS="-c /etc/named.caching-nameserver.conf".

That would defeat the point, which is to allow a caching-only nameserver
configuration to be the default to be used only if no custom configuration exists.

>  # rpm -qf /var/named/chroot/etc/named.conf
>  bind-chroot-9.3.2-10.FC6
>  bind-config-9.3.2-10.FC6

named.conf is a '%ghost' file in both these packages, to prevent removal of previous
versions of these packages from removing named.conf - there are no conflicts created
by two packages owning %ghost files.

>  and ..
>
>  # rpm -e bind-config
>  error: Failed dependencies:
>          caching-nameserver is needed by (installed)
>  NetworkManager-0.6.0-3.x86_64

Right - bind-config Obsoletes: caching-nameserver, which is required by NetworkManager.

>  So .. now if someone uses evolution it is not possible use on the same
>  system use named with custom configuration.

Wrong: simply create a $ROOTDIR/etc/named.conf with your custom configuration, and it
will be used instead of $ROOTDIR/etc/named.caching-nameserver.conf.

>  First: IMO it will be good remove depedencies beetween named and
>  NetworkManager (now using NetworkManager determines using only localy
>  installed DNS).

NetworkManager works by configuring the local caching-nameserver named with D-BUS;
hence, it must depend on the 'caching-nameserver' functionality provided by the bind-config
package.

>  Second: instead provide package with only configuration better will be
>  put template for aching nameserver configuration as commented part in by
>  default installed named.conf.

That is in effect what has occurred: named.caching-nameserver.conf is ONLY used if no
named.conf exists. This has the bonus of not requiring ANY user intervention to obtain
a caching-nameserver.

I fail to see any "problems" with the new bind packages from the above description -
if you find any, please raise a bind bugzilla about them.

Thanks & Regards,
Jason Vas Dias<jvdias at redhat.com>
bind package maintainer