Anaconda: good work!

Dimi Paun dimi at lattica.com
Wed Mar 22 17:38:28 UTC 2006

From: "Jeremy Katz" <katzj at redhat.com>

> Thanks -- always nice to see people not just flaming us :-P

Hey, don't get fooled by the flames, there's a lot of love here.
We just get passionate about our views, that all :)

> >   * Disk change indicators
>
> This comes up from time to time, I'm just not fully convinced of how
> useful it is.

Coupled with a better time estimate, it would be useful, no doubt.
Also copying the contents of the CDs to the HD before hand would be
a very good idea too. But when that's not possible (due to free
space constraints), the ticks would be nice :)

> One thing that we really probably need to look at for FC6
> is revisiting the time remaining algorithm.

Ideed -- I think the algorihm takes into account stuff that
it should't: at end of disk 3 (I think) it said 15min left,
after putting in disk 4, it jumped to 75min (no good).

> >   * External links in Release Notes are confusing
>
> Hrm.  Not sure how to handle this.  They could conceivably work in
> network installs, but are almost certainly a bad idea.  Maybe the way to
> do this is to do some processing on the release notes file before we
> feed it to the viewer

Disabling the external links would be a good idea. And that can
happen even before you put them on CD (use a special Release Notes
file just for showing during install).

> >   * Space does not page down in Release Notes
>
> This seems like it should be easy enough to implement

Cool!

> >   * Release Notes too big?
> >     I found them to be too big/verbose, especially for
> >     a light read during install. But maybe it's just me.
>
> Yep, the Docs project has rocked at getting lots of content.  This has
> the downside of there being lots of content.  Double-edged sword...

It seems like a classical case of "I didn't have time to write you a
small letter, so I wrote you a long one instead". :)

--
Dimi Paun <dimi at lattica.com>
Lattica, Inc.