Intelligent Anaconda (was: Re: The Morning After)

Hans Kristian Rosbach hk at isphuset.no
Thu Mar 23 08:48:51 UTC 2006

> The fact that we can do a minimal installation with a
> single CD,  a desktop class installation in 2 CD's or a network
> installation with boot.iso image is far from clear to everyone involved.
> It has been offered for years and people continue to request it as a new
> feature not being aware that it exists already in just about every
> release. Kickstart should be much better advertised.

In my opinion when you boot anaconda from CD1, it should ask you what
cds you have available. So if I only downloaded CD1 & 2 it would not
allow me to select packages that are not available on those two cds,
possibly asking me whether I want yum to download what I don't have.

This selection dialog could also be extended to let you chose that you
have indeed downloaded extras CD1, CD2 and CD3 (or somesuch).
Or let you select "Other CD" and let anaconda scan the disk and find
the prepared-by-anaconda list of rpms and deps on the disk.

This would allow me to make my own addons cd that would just be
installed from just like the other cds.

Yes, yum has solved this problem partially but not everyone has
24/7 highspeed Internet access. And some just don't want to have to
install from the internet every time.

-HK