Anaconda: good work!

Lamont R. Peterson lamont at gurulabs.com
Fri Mar 24 21:44:55 UTC 2006

On Friday 24 March 2006 06:44am, Jörn Rink wrote:
> Am Wed, 22 Mar 2006 10:12:09 -0500
>
> hat "Dimi Paun" <dimi at lattica.com> (Dimi Paun) folgendes geschrieben:
> > Hi Jeremy,
> >
> > Just wanted to share a few thoughts about anaconda,
> > while fresh in my mind (I've managed to install FC5
> > last night).
> >
> > First impression: anaconda really rocks! This is a
> > very solid, pleasant installer.
>
> Yes, but since Redhat mkkickstart i missed something which let
> me take SUSE for automatic installation in our firm.
>
> You have no choice to get some individual input into the installation.
>
> What i mean:
> we have to install nearly 500 computer automatically in the office of
> our customers (banks). Each computer has its own, predefined name, and
> we are using logical (virtuell, self generated) MAC Adresses for
> these PC's. So, tell me how to get the MAC Adress into the
> installation via menu? The customer has to input it. For the
> suse Installation we hav solved this with dialog tricks over the
> autoyast console text menu to get the input.
>
> And the network interface is configured AFTER the input.
>
> I have no idea how to implement this in an anaconda kickstart
> installation. Thats my wish, a point in the installation where i can,
> if i want, ask for individual settings which override the ks.cfg
> settings.
>
> When anyone has an idea for this, i am the first who changed the
> auto install from SuSE to fedora ;-)

Get the kickstart file from a web server and make the file that is being
pointed to a perl or PHP (or ruby or whatever you prefer) script that
generates the "proper" kickstart file content as output.

With that in place, you can get the MAC address from a look-up table in your
app, based on the IP address of the client connecting.  Of course, I'm
assuming that you have such a map if you are setting the MAC addresses on all
those machines.
--
Lamont R. Peterson <lamont at gurulabs.com>
Senior Instructor